Goto page Previous  1, 2
[subscribe]
Forums -> Finest Five Competition

Finest Five.

cprljohnivey said:

Correct me if I am wrong but this is my take on this comp.

This seems to be the general intent.

It also seems that since new builds aren't specifically excluded, they must be OK.

Sorry for the late response. To be honest I think maybe my chosen theme is not so cool. d'oh! I hoped to pick something the contestants would find "practical" as in adding details to existing pieces. I will provide some clarity, but if nobody is keen I can pick a new theme.

Tob said:

What if an entrant is building new pieces? Is the 3x3x3cm size limitation still in effect?

New pieces are acceptable.

lahmianvampyrevenom said:

...would 5 small detailed pieces (not exactly sure what yet, maybe treasure of some sort) be allowed within the parameters set?

Yes this would be fine, 5 3x3cm pieces or any arrangement thereof is okay.

pendrake said:

This is an interesting theme, but a tricky one. It sounds like a new item on a 3cm base would qualify as one of the five?

Yes it would. You could also line them up next to each other as one long 15cm by 3 cm or a 9cm by 6cm base. Or three 6cm by 3cm bases. The 3cm by 3cm details must just be framed separately for the photographs to show the size requirement.

pendrake said:

....I am thinking an entry could potentially be a mix of old and new?

Yes new and old as well as some new and some old is acceptable.

Tob said:

...This seems to contradict the size requirement. We went from a 3x3cm area to every surface.

The area to be judged must be 3cm by 3cm for each picture entry.

Tob said:

.....How are entrants supposed to demarcate this 3x3cm area to be judged?

I suggest we frame the area by cutting a 3cm by 3cm hole out of white or black card and placing it in front of the area. Or an "L" shape next to the area will be clear enough. The frame could also be a made of wire or drawn on clear plastic with a marker or some other material.

Tob said:

.....If the side of my house is 60x300mm, how do I demarcate the 30x30mm area to be judged? I suggest we scrap this comp and either start over or just forget it. The only person to show any interest so far was going to build new pieces and we have no indication whether that fits the criteria. I would enter this comp as an excuse to complete my AWI houses, but every surface is greater than 30x30mm.

The areas the details are on may be bigger but we should indicate with a frame where the 3cm by 3cm area is to be judged.

We can vote to scrap this theme if nobody likes it. I can think of two other themes in any case. I am still trying to figure out what I am going to do . I thought perhaps everybody has some terrain piece that needs detail and might not allocate time to improve those pieces otherwise. As we can make new bases too that is also acceptable.

No, keep it as is, I'm actually cooking up some improvements to an existing build that should fit the Criteria.

cprljohnivey,

Did you create that entry as an example only? (I ask because there is not a WiP thread...)

I do think it illustrates the theme pretty well.

It does point up one of the basic problems/challenges with the theme. Five details. Your example has four details and one overall view. And there is the difficulty and photography challenge:

Five extreme close-ups of five detailed things leaves no room for an overall shot. But if someone chose five different, old terrain pieces, and then added one new detailed thing to each there would not be much point.

No. Was supposed to be the old and rusty comp. Don't know how got there and don't know how to delete it. Never entered comp before and had a very difficult time with that $&#@%&# form.

pendrake said:

Five extreme close-ups of five detailed things leaves no room for an overall shot. But if someone chose five different, old terrain pieces, and then added one new detailed thing to each there would not be much point.

The point is I have lots of pieces that need that extra something special and a bit of tender loving care to make the whole piece shine.

I purposefully left out the overall shot to allow for one more detail. The background or piece you are adding to shouldn't influence the voting hopefully, only the details themselves. C'mon Pendrake I know you have some ideas...put on "Eye of the Tiger" and your Cherry apron and get cracking.

superscenic said:

pendrake said:

The point is I have lots of pieces that need that extra something special and a bit of tender loving care to make the whole piece shine.

I purposefully left out the overall shot to allow for one more detail. The background or piece you are adding to shouldn't influence the voting hopefully, only the details themselves. C'mon Pendrake I know you have some ideas...put on "Eye of the Tiger" and your Cherry apron and get cracking.

TBH I was kinda evaluating cprljohnivey's [accidental?] sample entry. I do have a few ideas.

1. Warpstone treasure markers for Mordheim
  2. A building for Ice Station Walrus
  3. Bottlecap sized fuel tanks (sturginium tanks)
  4. A farmhouse in one corner of a farm***
  5. My crashed Aeronef terrain piece suffered an accident and needs repairs

***At 1:1200 a farm is, I dunno, 6 x 8 inches representing about 11 acres, and the farmhouse is a tiny detail.

pendrake said:

TBH I was kinda evaluating cprljohnivey's [accidental?] sample entry. I do have a few ideas.

• Warpstone treasure markers for Mordheim

• I'm actually in the process of making 4 of these and the Treasure Chest...but they'd be all too similar to enter?

djmothra said:

pendrake said:

• Warpstone treasure markers for Mordheim

• I'm actually in the process of making 4 of these and the Treasure Chest...but they'd be all too similar to enter?

They must just not be identical. I'm entering four doors, each a little different.

pendrake said:

1. Warpstone treasure markers for Mordheim
    2. A building for Ice Station Walrus
    3. Bottlecap sized fuel tanks (sturginium tanks)
    4. A farmhouse in one corner of a farm***
    5. My crashed Aeronef terrain piece suffered an accident and needs repairs

***At 1:1200 a farm is, I dunno, 6 x 8 inches representing about 11 acres, and the farmhouse is a tiny detail.

These all sound awesome. You may enter several similar themed pieces with the same components you fabricated en-masse. As long as you arranged each slightly different.

Be cautious of following my "mistake" and spending too much time prepping/repairing the areas: In my case I spent two days on the entrances' plastering and stones. I could have just painted it black and cropped it out.

Goto page Previous  1, 2
    25 results in total.

Forums -> Finest Five Competition