I made some desert scenery earlier this year but a decent ridge of wind carved stone was still on the to do list. There is a line in Dune were a ridge is described as looking like an ancient battleship sailing a sea of sand and I wanted to capture that look.

Image: 20131225235902

Image: 20131225235933

I've used white polystyrene because I have more of it than I have money to spend on gaming, I know it doesn't carve as well but a good layer of PVA and sand will toughen it up and hide the bubbles, I haven't made wooden bases for the pieces for much the same reason.

The four pieces can be placed together to form an impassable ridge or left separated to create a series of narrow defiles that have to be forced/guarded.

Once the glue dries I will carve them into worn rock shapes with a small wire brush.

Robert

If you can carve some roughly parallel, nearly horizontal grooves into that it will help it look like sedimentary sandstone.

And by carve I mean crush/engrave into the surface...

...you're right, the white foam does not carve that well.

Horizontal grooves are the plan although the polystyrene won't take the detail that is really required.
So here they are carved and covered with sand.

Image: 20131226221428

Robert

Hey Toaster,

some nice clear-cut ideas in your project. Such as: desert - dune - boat.
Also a design which is playability/tactics enhancing I think.

Greetz,
Bob

Thanks Bob.
Playability is one thing I always work towards.
Where carving won't suffice for the detail paint must, I've added a second layer of brown wash to show the stratification of the rock. Dry brushing once it's dry will blend it in better.

Image: 20131228014025

And on the subject of playability I realise I have a good beginning for a dungeon caverns board in these pieces as well

Image: 20131228014141

Robert

Great work Applause

I cannot get anything other than the white polystyrene myself, but you did a great job at making it look pretty good. I found that cutting it with a knife gives smoother 'carvings' and if you want more detail a soldering iron with a long 'nail', instead of the normal tip makes for good grooves or details.

I would love to see more terrain build with the white stuff for inspiration and motivation...so keep up the good work Wink

Great work Applause

I cannot get anything other than the white polystyrene myself, but you did a great job at making it look pretty good. I found that cutting it with a knife gives smoother 'carvings' and if you want more detail a soldering iron with a long 'nail', instead of the normal tip makes for good grooves or details.

I would love to see more terrain build with the white stuff for inspiration and motivation...so keep up the good work Wink

Thanks Andy, try this one for more white polystyrene http://www.terragenesis.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5682lp=59889

Robert

As a desert ridge these look really good, but I like your cavern idea even better. I think these really look the part and with a few more pieces could cover a table well enough to really sell the idea of a subterranean battlefield. Applause

So I'm revisiting this WIP because I've started on the additional pieces to make the cavern board.

Image from http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x68/toaster5sqn/Dune/DSCF6492_zps49fb3b8e.jpg

Image from http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x68/toaster5sqn/Dune/DSCF6494_zps573699d2.jpg

C&C welcome as usual.

Robert

Forums -> Work In Progress (WIP)