[subscribe]
Forums -> Convertible / Reversible Competition

Hexagonal Mosque, circa 1943 Tunisia, transform to ruins

I've been working on this hexagonal mosque for about two weeks, and I realized since I can remove the interior, I can create a new interior. The scale is fixed, so can't really make in something besides a 15mm ruined mosque, perhaps destroyed by an errant air strike.

Since I am sort of stepping into the competition late, please let me know if anyone objects. I started this project in the time space of the competition.

Some work in progress images:
Using a Template to cut a hexagon
Cutting bevels in three steps
One night's work. Two hexagons and six outer sides
 dry fitting the mosque: Careful planning, careful cutting, no glue
Hexagonal Mosque assembled, painted

Next steps, build a second insert that shows damage and destruction. I'll have a new floor, bits of terrace, framents of the interior wall. I might look at a partial dome, but since the intact dome is solid Styrofoam, I'll be hard-pressed to recreate it in fragments.

I really didn't want to make a ruined mosque. Had I planned better, I could have made a missile base or something very different. But I glued in the doors, which fixes the scale and technology.

So I made a burning mosque insert:

Mosque with burning ruins insert

Looking good - love the bits of roof and windows strewn about the place - but it looks like it's missing some of the walls as rubble - or is that coming?

djmothra said:

Looking good - love the bits of roof and windows strewn about the place - but it looks like it's missing some of the walls as rubble - or is that coming?

Good feedback. I need some yellow masonary on the upper terrace. Easily added, but I wish I'd have thought of this before I glued down the blue dome fragments.

djmothra said:

Perhaps the weaponry involved could explain the disappearance. A mountaintop near the Nazca Lines in Peru cannot be accounted for Silenced ...of course, I loooove a conspiracy theory -the more crackpot, the better! Cool

brushmarks said:

djmothra said:

Perhaps the weaponry involved could explain the disappearance. A mountaintop near the Nazca Lines in Peru cannot be accounted for Silenced ...of course, I loooove a conspiracy theory -the more crackpot, the better! Cool

I know that place - it has a completely flat top right? I love this kind of stuff too Smile

Ok, based on DJ Mothra's advice, I added more masonry to the upper level terrace of the ruined mosque. I also added some blue dome bits to the inner fire, however only one bit is visible in the interior. It is rather hard to photograph because it is almost straight down.

I managed to take these photos in the setting sun, which adds a bit of warmth and glow to the images. Can't beat the golden hour!

I am leaving for vacation, so I have a day and a half. If you see any obvious problems or can suggest any quick improvements, but I'll need to post the completed submission some time the before mid day US time Wednesday.

Mosque beside ruined insert
This will be my lead-in image, since it shows both pieces of the transformable terrain.

Frontal view of Hexagonal Mosque
Second image. I picked this because the sun light really picks out the star and crescent. Also a nice shot of Andy's lasercut windows.

Overhead view of interior of Hexagonal mosque
An overhead view of the interior. I really like the contrasting blue colors vs the overall pale yellow and beige of the piece.

FIRE! note the bit of blue from the mosque's shatter blue dome
An overhead view of the burning mosque. Like I said, getting the fire to burn like this was not as hard as photographing it. Look to the upper right of the fire and you'll see a bit of the blue dome that has fallen in.

Frontal view of Hexagonal Mosque in Ruins
I really like a model's eye view. I wish the windows were more visible.

Looking good. Any thoughts to adding internal removable/convertible details such as prayer mats on one side, flip it over and it looks like rubble on the other. Thinking this would be for the first floor of the model.

Vacation calls. Off to the north woods, so no more time for modeling. I have a few hours, yet, to clean up the prose of the competition entry, and I'll welcome any feed back on the text or pictures.

For better or worse, however, I can't add more to the project in the time before I leave. No prayer mats, sorry. I'd attempted smoke by making cotton balls soaked in ink, but the result was a mess. No time left.

Still, I am really happy with the intact version of the mosque. If you see in on a wargaming table, you'll know what it represents, regardless of historical inaccuracies. Regarding the ruins, well, I love how the fire turned out, but I wish I'd have thought of entering this project into the competition before I glued down the doors, so I could have transformed it into something, anything, but a bombed out place of worship.

Forums -> Convertible / Reversible Competition