Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone had ideas for Snow flock.

I have used Woodland Scenic's snow flock and I do like the looks but I am looking for an application on terrain pieces. Lots of them and to use the Woodland Scenic product would be very expensive.

I was wondering if any one has had any luck with something else. Sugar, Flour, baking soda, etc .. also are there any tricks to it. I also thought if I use this alternative product as a base coat I could always go back over the top with a the Woodland Scenic product.

Thanks in advance.

Greenizbest said:

This might depend on scale and specific application. At smaller scales (1:300 etc), white paint will suffice for just about everything. For 28mm, paint will work up to a point as long as you're not going for a "winter wonderland" look.

If you feel like you need to build-up snow, the general consensus is to stay away from food and baking soda. Sugar is water soluble and attracts bugs and baking soda yellows over time due to its basic nature.

There are always commercial spray flock products, but they can be hard to control, have a tendency to splatter, and are meant for large scale (1:1) applications. This can work for covering a large table, but tends to leave small buildings looking like they're covered in a few feet of molten marshmallow.

Chinchilla sand might be your solution. It's white, color stable, and very fine; you can "tilt" it into places to look like drifting. It's cheap and can be found in any pet store.

Tob - thanks for the idea. I looked into the Chinchilla sand solution. The amount you get was below my requirements but it did help lead me to the craft store next to the pet store. I walked into Michaels' and found White Sand. I am going to try this out and see how it stacks up.

I will get some pictures up as soon as a I have a test piece.

Tob said:

Greenizbest said:

This might depend on scale and specific application. At smaller scales (1:300 etc), white paint will suffice for just about everything. For 28mm, paint will work up to a point as long as you're not going for a "winter wonderland" look.

If you feel like you need to build-up snow, the general consensus is to stay away from food and baking soda. Sugar is water soluble and attracts bugs and baking soda yellows over time due to its basic nature.

There are always commercial spray flock products, but they can be hard to control, have a tendency to splatter, and are meant for large scale (1:1) applications. This can work for covering a large table, but tends to leave small buildings looking like they're covered in a few feet of molten marshmallow.

Chinchilla sand might be your solution. It's white, color stable, and very fine; you can "tilt" it into places to look like drifting. It's cheap and can be found in any pet store.

Greenizbest said:

White Sand. I am going to try this out and see how it stacks up.

The difference is the size of the grains. Your sand will be a little bigger than chinchilla sand, so it might look a little "icier" or "chunkier", but the advantage will be easier to surfactate (is that the word I am looking for here?). Meaning, it will be easier to cement/glue down. This may also help smooth out the visual roughness of the larger grain sand, if that's even a concern of yours.

To get areas with a wispy blown look, sponge paint some areas white and put sand over it. This will ease the transition from no snow to snow.

If you need to whiten-up your snow, add titanium dioxide to everything; sand, scenic cement, paint. Can be found in art supply stores.

Can't wait to see your tests.

if you are handy with a spray can, you could use white spray primer as a base. it will give a matte finish. it may be tricky to do on small items

Forums -> Terrain Making Questions