In Disguise!

Some man-made object or building is hidden, camouflaged, concealed to look like something else, whether natural or artificial.

Consider these:
The Hidden Base Competition

Other ideas...

• A missile silo that folds out of a hill, like TheDreamer's Silo in the last competition.

• A bunker or M*A*S*H unit covered with camouflage netting.

• A hunter's or photographers' Deer stand or blind

• A secret door hidden in a tree, wall, or hill.

• A pit trap concealed by hay, cleaver fake stone work, etc

• Abandoned warehouse on the outside, smugglers' den on the inside, complete with secret doors

Ok, so a tank hiding in a damaged barn would not count. Someone has to take steps to actually hide the object, not merely place the object in a concealing spot.

Good luck!

asdel said:

Ok, so a tank hiding in a damaged barn would not count. Someone has to take steps to actually hide the object, not merely place the object in a concealing spot.

Good luck!

And a tank is a vehicle, not terrain. Silenced

What would you make of this for an example: http://www.terragenesis.co.uk/competitions/entry.php?id=416 ??

pendrake said:

asdel said:

Good luck!

What would you make of this for an example: http://www.terragenesis.co.uk/competitions/entry.php?id=416 ??

Argh, it seemed so simple.

OK, that entry is a troll-dug hole with a rock placed over it. In the context of this contest, yes, it would qualify, because the terrain feature (a hole) is disguised another terrain feature (a boulder). The troll in the shot is not terrain any more more than the knight about to be eaten.

asdel said:

pendrake said:

asdel said:

Good luck!

Argh, it seemed so simple.

OK, that entry is a troll-dug hole with a rock placed over it. In the context of this contest, yes, it would qualify, because the terrain feature (a hole) is disguised another terrain feature (a boulder). The troll in the shot is not terrain any more more than the knight about to be eaten.

Wasn't trying to make it hard. Figures were in my old entry to show scale.

If somebody built a Guard Tower and painted it with a camouflage pattern would that work? Or would that be insufficient? I could see it either way.

The way I see it, If you had a guard tower, it'd have to be sufficiently hidden from sight - yes a camo scheme on it will help, but I'd also want to see a lot of foliage, perhaps the tower built into or part of a tree, so the main area for lookouts to stand on would be in the canopy...something like that anyway!

I have a question though, does the build have to be camoflaged/hidden from all sides? As I have an idea to build a small sandbagged defensive position that is in a Bocage, so from one side, it just looks like nothing out of the ordinary, but the back, it'll have sandbags, a sniper positions etc etc.

pendrake said:

If somebody built a Guard Tower and painted it with a camouflage pattern would that work? Or would that be insufficient? I could see it either way.

Camouflage is sufficient, based on the duck blind example, if it is appropriate camouflage for its purpose or environment.

I like DJMothra's approach:

"The way I see it, If you had a guard tower, it'd have to be sufficiently hidden from sight - yes a camo scheme on it will help, but I'd also want to see a lot of foliage, perhaps the tower built into or part of a tree, so the main area for lookouts to stand on would be in the canopy...something like that anyway!"

DJMothra's more in the spirit of what I had in mind, but given my example of a duck blind, pure camouflage will qualify.

djmothra said:

I have a question though, does the build have to be camoflaged/hidden from all sides? As I have an idea to build a small sandbagged defensive position that is in a Bocage, so from one side, it just looks like nothing out of the ordinary, but the back, it'll have sandbags, a sniper positions etc etc.

Camouflaged from one approach or facing is sufficient.

djmothra said:

... As I have an idea to build a small sandbagged defensive position that is in a Bocage, so from one side, it just looks like nothing out of the ordinary, but the back, it'll have sandbags, a sniper positions etc etc.

That sounds like an excellent idea.

You could enhance it further by building an ordinary bocage segment on an identical length base. So you could swap them out. That would give you the in-play option to preserve the fog-of-war for the Allied player. Then you swap the pieces when the emplacement is detected or it opens fire.

pendrake said:

That sounds like an excellent idea.

You could enhance it further by building an ordinary bocage segment on an identical length base. So you could swap them out. That would give you the in-play option to preserve the fog-of-war for the Allied player. Then you swap the pieces when the emplacement is detected or it opens fire.

I was planning on making 4 or 5 of them very similar and having the disguised part being part of two of them - never though about swapping out during play though, that's an awesome idea Applause

Ok, I'll look at getting the materials together for this comp.

Forums -> In Disguise Competition