Finally got sometime to devote to my own entry for this competition. Though I've nothing specific in mind the only idea is sandbags, lots of them! I'll post some pictures soon.


Its going to be a simple structure - a squarish base made with sandbags, lots of them. I'm using DAS clay to make the sandbags. I've created the outline and over the next few days will build up the walls. None of the bags are a standard size, I want to try to create variation and a rag-tag method of construction trying to show it was thrown together quickly.

The ring of sandbags

A seam down the side of the bags


The sandbag wall gets higher!

the wall gets taller


You have a seam of some sort in your sand bags. Are you creating that by folding or simply carving it?


And more sandbags. I'm getting bored of sandbags now! I've used an entire block of DAS clay so far, and more to go!

Asdel - the seam is simply using a knife to score the seam once the sandbag is in place.

Building the walls higher and making a small room


A little more progress - started to colour the sandbags. I've gone for a drab green colour rather than the typical lighter sandy coloured that you get nowadays. There's an initial wash of black to get into the cracks and crannies. Used a couple of drops of Johnson Klear to help it flow into the tiny cracks and the seams. I've also starting to put together a small platform that sits on the walls, should be large enough for a couple of figures or a heavy weapon perhaps. It will also be detachable to allow for variation.

Painting the sandbags

Starting to paint the sandbags

The platform


Some more progress- I've built up the firing platform with a series of sandbags. I couldn't get any DAS clay during the week so I've dived into my stock of Milliput (now depleted).

Firing platform

Just enough to give a little cover...

The raised firing position

Also created a series of firing steps on the inside of the perimeter wall...

firing steps

I've also decided to change the colour of the sandbags to make them lighter. I've been working on the base of the redoubt, making it rather muddy (6 or 7 people in there are likely to churn the ground up quite quickly) but I found the colour of the mud made it difficult to see the sandbag detail, especially in photographs. So I've started to overbrush them with a "light umber" - an artist's acyrlic paint.

Painting the sandbags a lighter colour

Looking down on the redoubt gives you an idea of the progress so far. I'm starting to add the muddy texture (sand impregnated acyrlic resin stippled on, with brown water colour added here and there), with walk ways made of coffee stirring sticks nicked from local cafes. That's about it so far.

Looking down on the redoubt


Getting to the end now. Added more weathering, still some lighter areas to do, added green flock around the outside of the sandbags, darkened the muddy areas, and added some figures for affect.

The redoubt nearly finished


Painting the sandbags a lighter colour

These look too blue-gray to my eye. Part of my problem here is so many rocky terrain pieces are similar in color, so it looks like rock to me. I have expected a pale beige or khaki or possibly a washed-out olive-drab. Maybe it is your camera; my cell photo takes pictures that are very much blue-tinted.

1) you could take more photos about an hour before sunset, and it really brings out warmer colors.
2) Maybe a wash or glaze to shift the color away from the blue towards beige.

Otherwise, I think this look great.


Hi Asdel,

You are right - one problem that I have noticed is that I paint under artifical light and to me it appears to be a more yellowish colour - when I take pictures with the camera (a Canon 550D) it shows the true colour which as you've noticed its more blue-white!

So what I've ended up with is a "dry-stone wall" affect rather than sandbags. Oh well maybe I'll get the colour right next time!

Cheers

Mark


Forums -> The Last Stand Competition