[subscribe]
Forums -> Terrain Making Questions

Airbrush paints/inks

A recent post by the veteran Tob prods me to shout out to airheads:

What brands of paint and how do you mix your thinning solution, if any?

brushmarks said:

A recent post by the veteran Tob prods me to shout out to airheads:

What brands of paint and how do you mix your thinning solution, if any?

I use Vallejo Air for 15mm tanks. I might use them straight or a might them them just a little bit (6 drops paint, 1 drop water). I am able to fine lines, although not eyelash thin. I use these paints for to be historically accurate and because they can generally be used unthinned--one less variable.

Now that I have used Vallejo Air, I have better sense what thinned paint should look like. You could always get some whole milk and play with it. (I've read that a dozen times and thought to my self, "Yeah, Milk, I know milk" but until I actually played with Milk on a plate and in the airbrush cup, I didn't appreciate how much thicker milk is than water.)

If I use Vallejo Model color, I use 1:1 Vallajo airbrush thinner. It Depends, my favorite answer. Part of the problem is the source paints vary quite a bit in thickness. But airpressure, needle size, etc are also a factor.

Warning, some VMC contain Cadmium (mostly reds). Cadmium is pretty harmless if you lick your brush, so the paint is rated non toxic. However, sprayed Cadmium, aerosolized and inhaled, is more dangerous. Newer bottles of VMC will list "Contains no Cadmium" and will have little airbrush icon OR will list a warning "Contains Cadmium". Do not stray VMC colors unless they specifically say No Cadmium. (Older bottles just say, Nontoxic, so you can go the vallajo website and look for the materials safety data sheet. )

For terrain, when using cheap craft paints, I thing 1:1 with water or airbrush thinner. I've used air brushes mostly for water for smooth transitions. I have made aqua tropical seas, bitterly cold Normandy beaches, and murky, muddy rivers using craft paints. I hadn't learned about the Cadmium when I did this, so I do not know what are safe and what are not.

Thanks, asdel. After using Createx on the GW tree set, a gummy feel prompted a look see into others and that's when I discovered the intended textile use for it. I've just purchased some Aztec paints and will give my Nid hives attention with it.
Vallejo has been mentioned positively (every time mentioned), that will be the next brand I try.

Forums -> Terrain Making Questions