[subscribe]
Forums -> Terrain Making Wiki

Fort Apache - Part 3

Fort Apache - Part 3The high shine metallic finish was critical in producing the effect required for the model. Whilst the wall panel surface might not be anything like those in the film version, I felt that if I got the right paint finish the overall effect would work.

I decided to use a high gloss metallic aerosol on the metallic parts to get the desired finish. I chose Plasticote bright chrome effect spray. Since I knew this would be messy and overspray all over the base and crags I sprayed the metallic parts first, so the base and crag could be tidied up afterwards.

Like most aerosols I knew Plasticote would melt the styrofoam of the rocks and foamcore, so the first job was to ensure these had been protected. All bare edges of foamcore were covered with thin card. The crag at the rear of the model was given a thick coat of textured paint.

I used a grey aerosol primer first followed by a couple of coats of the Plasticote chrome. Everything was sprayed - foamcore, cardboard, styrene rods and the electrical cable. The paint seem to take equally well on every surface.

Fort Apache - Part 3When the chrome spraying was completed and dry the base was painted with emulsion (latex) paint, and then dry-brushed with a lighter colour. The crags were painted in exactly the same way.

In the film the fort had a floor of metallic plates - you may remember seeing the giant bug bursting up through the twisted metal flooring. Since this was a fairly plain model I decided that some floor detail would add interest and I hit on the idea of using the tin takeaway trays that I had bought for walls but then not used. These had a circular embossed pattern in the centre. I cut a number of tiles consisting of the centre pattern only and arranged them so that the pattern aligned. You can see the effect in this picture. I like the finish but if anything it is a bit shiny and new looking. I considered distressing it a bit with sand or inks but decided to go for the 'just built' look...this was for a display game and I thought it gave more visual impact. I finished off the walkways and ramp with strips of car repair mesh.

Fort Apache - Part 3In the film Fort Apache had more details of course, including corner gun stations and a gun tower. I added a gun tower with a simple construction of a central tube with four angled poles and a platform on the top. This is similar to the tower in the film but would have looked better with more detail...however I ran out of time. It served its purpose for the display game but in my opinion looks a bit like something off the top of a wedding cake.

[center]

Fort Apache - Part 3

Fort Apache - Part 3

Fort Apache - Part 3

[/center]

Forums -> Terrain Making Wiki