Orky HutThis is the maiden offering from new modeller Dave Steingass (well, new to TerraGenesis anyway).

Dave sent me details instructions and comments on the building of Gog's shack and some background information on modelling in his home patch. I have included it all because I think it might be helpful to other modellers. Over to Dave:

I live in Northwest Ohio, USA, and the small town that I live in does not have a large following for wargaming, but I have played different games in the past and eagerly wish to add it to my long list of hobbies I have neither time nor money for. Nevertheless, I really enjoy modelling, so I've decided to build some terrain so that I'm ready for the day when I do get the game(s).

To find any hobby/model stores I must drive at least 1 hour to a larger city to get what I need, therefore this puts me in direct relation to the TerraGenesis style. About the most we have locally are lumberyards, and the sacred temple 'Wal-Mart'. Wal-Mart has a craft section, mostly women's crafts like needleworking, sewing, and the like, but it is a great source for other wonderful supplies that I use.

For instance, balsa wood is almost non-existent in this area, unless I go to a nearby town where I would pay extremely inflated prices for some that a small hobby shop carries that has probably been on their shelf for 10+ years. Therefore I have discovered the Popsicle stick (the kind that comes in those wonderful strawberry crunch bars) otherwise known as craft sticks when purchased at the craft section in Wal-Mart which come in various sizes for about $2-3.00 per 500 or 1000. These craft sticks are not as soft as balsa, but they are easily cut with a strong pair of tin snips(heavy scissors for cutting sheet metal) into any shape, and easily roughened into a rustic looking board or plank with a sharp knife (we call it a utility knife).

My Project

I've fiddled with several other terrain projects before, but this one I've built specifically for the Warhammer 40k universe. I rilly lyk dem orky boyz, so I've launched a major project to build an orky village.I've started with a simple building: Gog the miner's shack.

Materials

1. Foamcore (here it's 1/4 inch stock that comes in a fanfold bundle for insulation behind vinyl siding, and blue-got mine from leftovers at the local DIY, about $1.25 a sheet)

2. 1/8 inch plywood (I loaded up on a bunch from a local camper and RV factory, they use it as cheap interior wall panelling and it had a thin textured plastic coating on one side which can easily be peeled off or left intact as ground texture surprisingly very strong stuff! Free!!)

3. Craft Sticks (6 inch sticks, lop the rounded ends off easily with tin snips and you've got perfect rectangular boards pkg of 100 $2.25)

4. Square toothpicks

5. Goldfish gravel (another Wal-Mart treasure, about 3 lbs. of neon blue gravel for $2.00 lifetime supply since you only use a very little) wall patch (I believe you call this polyfilla or filler-ready mixed)

6. Bendy straws

7. Floral moss (this is a Wal-Mart goodie too, it's the dried green stuff that is used in the base of silk flowers and fake plants, I think every department store has a silk flower section. It comes in huge bags of different styles for just a couple of dollars)

8. Sticks and twigs from the yard (expensive stuff)

9. 2 beers (brand of your choice in cans)

10. Split Peas

Method

Open First beer. The building is your basic foamcore construction technique, nothing fancy, the dimensions are the dimensions for the half-timbered manor house 1st story.

It is then covered with a thin, rough layer of wall filler, applied with a putty knife, and allowed to dry. It is then painted with layers of orange, yellow, white, and brown respectively to give it that grungy, clay look, then washed with a flat black. The building is then mounted onto the plywood base (plastic coating intact) with a hot glue gun, and the base is then painted earthtone colors in spots and coated with diluted white glue (PVA) and sprinkled with model railroad grass (sand would work too). Now crack open the second beer. Cut toothpicks roughly for a makeshift window frame.

The fence is (you guessed it) craft sticks. With the rounded ends lopped off (save those ends in your bits box) shave the edges roughly with a sharp knife, and then lop the sticks in half (but not in the exact centers) and snip the points as well. Lay the fence planks out tin a rough pattern and hot glue a long plank to the back of them. Add the split peas for rivets and paint.

The tree is one large stick, and several other small sticks cut at an angle and hot glued to the large stick to make it full, then the moss is hot glued to each branch top and continues to fill out the tree, I then Hot glued the trunk to my workbench temporarily to hold it up and sprayed the whole thing heavily with spray glue, when the trunk is then later painted the glue blobs that the branches are glued onto the trunk with look like knots in the tree, hence a natural look.

Now let's put those beers to work, or rather the cans. Take your cans, cut the top and bottom off of them, split the can down the side and flatten the sheet. Find the rustiest finishing nail you have, cut the cans into small sheets roughly, then take that rusty nail and pound the head into the sheets lightly over a block of wood to create rivets on the reverse side. Crinkle up the metal, and hot glue to the roof of the building in a rough, staggered pattern. I also glued an offcut of the plywood on top to look like a quick repair.

With your building, fence and tree mounted on the base, glob some glue on the base in various spots and arrange the goldfish gravel in rough piles, paint while wet whatever color of rocks you desire. I piled rocks around the tree trunk to hide the happy accident I had with the hot glue while basing my tree.

The Stove pipe is just the bends from bendy straws and a few straight sections, held together by electrical tape, and hot glued to the side of the building. It was then painted black and drybrushed with aluminium metallic. The top piece of the stove pipe is just cardboard cut in a circle, and slit along the radius, then glued into a cone shape.

I added bits here and there, some lumber piled up to look like a lazy Gog never finished building his fence, and the door was built similar to the fence only with wood from my wife's old dollhouse kit which I scavenged. The handle is a carpet tack with a big head for large orky hands. also bits of the cans for hinges.

Painting

Orky HutI don't have Citadel paints, although I would like to get a few to check them out, but I have found a worthy alternative I feel.

Good ol' Wal-Mart's craft section has Hundreds of colors of craft paints, small squeeze bottles 4oz each, and water based, and they had them all marked down to .44 cents each!! The colors are beautiful, and some colors like Copper Metallic, Aluminium Metallic and so on were .88 cents each, but you don't use much of those anyway. Sure beats buying Testors acrylics, or other model paints for $1-3.00 each for only 1/4 oz.

The fence is painted with a chestnut brown, and washed with black.

The roof is painted black and drybrushed with Aluminium metallic(you can also use some needle nosed pliers to bend up the corners of the metal a bit, and scratch it in places for effect). My rivets are painted Copper Metallic, and washed with black to dull it a bit ( be careful with metallics though, because, the little metallic bits can easily spread onto other surfaces you may not want to be metallic).

The rocks are painted country grey and I just realised I forgot to wash them with a contrasting color for shadows Oops!

Forums -> Terrain Making Wiki