Sewer BoardEric has made this sewer board with Necromunda in mind, but the techniques could be used for a number of sewer/maze/dungeon type settings.

Materials

1. Plywood sheet for the base, 4 feet by 8 feet by 1/4 inch thick (1200mm x 2400mm x 6mm)
  2. Foam insulation board for the walls (dimensions as above)
  3. Pine board for the outside walls, 8 feet by 4 inches by 1 inch (2400mm x 100mm x 25mm)
  4. Metal mesh
  5. Cheap black, grey and white paint
  6. Hot wire cutter
  7. Saw
  8. PVA glue

Sewer Board Sewer Board

Method

The first step is to lay out your board. This board is 2' x 2' and has entry and exit points on each wall.

The next step is to cut the foam to the sizes you need. Generally, they'll follow geometric shapes that interlock with a channel in between to allow for the flow of water.

It's best to design your pieces a head of time on a piece of graph paper -- especially in a modular situation. You don't need to though and you might find inspiration by just cutting pieces however it appeals to you.

The pieces can vary in size and the more varied the better. You can use 1" Foam Board for walls (like this one) or 1/2" works well too. Knowing Necromunda gangs would be coming this sewer in search of archeotech while another gang was chasing them, I made sure there were plenty of nooks and cubbies where people could hide.

Use PVA glue to get everything together.

Sewer Board Sewer Board

Paint your board black. This represents the murky trench floor that never dries and is always covered with a layer of "stuff" that makes it hard to see whether there's solid footing or a man-hole. If you play in a group that enjoys house rules, come up with a few for models that walk in the trench.

I'm going to playtest this board a little with some figures I have handy:

Sewer Board Sewer Board

Yep, that looks good. Time for final assembly and the knick knacks:

Sewer BoardThis is what the board looks like when it's all finished off. I've painted it gray and then dry brushed it white. All the paint was second hand latex from the Home Depot. (The propellant in spray paint will eat right into raw foam board so stay free of that.) Once everything was dry, I put on a quick rung ladder in the middle of the board and some grates on the steps and wetter areas. The ladder is made from a metal screen cut and then shaped. The grates are a plastic mesh usually used for repairing rust holes in cars.

The finishing touch will be a wall around the outside that's 4" tall. The wall will be painted to look like, well, a sewer wall. There will be an entrance 8" in from either side on each wall to allow for entrance and egress. Also needed are some sewer pipes coming in at the middle of each board edge. When the other sewer boards are built, they'll have matching pipes and egresses.

The nice thing about these boards is that they can be set next to each other in different fashions for variety. The can also be stack on top of one another so you could traverse up and down as well as back and forth. I'd need to get much more creative about the modularity for that!

Here's a picture of the finished product along with my Orlock gang and a "visitor".

Sewer Board

Forums -> Terrain Making Wiki