[subscribe]
Forums -> Terrain Making Wiki

Fort Duquesne Display

Fort Duquesne DisplayRay Outlich makes museum quality landscape and building displays. This article is based on Ray's Fort Duquesne display. It illustrates a wide range of board construction and realistic detailing techniques not seen elsewhere on TerraGenesis.

Brick Structures

The scale that Ray is working to on this display (1:112) requires a different approach to the construction of buildings and other structures.

Fort Duquesne DisplayThis picture shows typical basswood or balsa wood construction for a brick house. Bricks are made of paper. I scanned an old colonial brick and printed it on 60wt. paper, then used a paper cutter to make a number of thin strips which I then cut into scale bricks at random lengths.

I spread white glue over the wood walls (you can paint them a mortar color but its not essential). Before the glue dries take a pin and pick up brick sections and place upon walls. They will stick and you can move them around till they look right before the glue dries. Repeat until finished.

Fort Duquesne DisplayChimneys are made the same way but usually with balsa wood or cork base for bricks. I use a razor knife to cut the center of the chimney out then paint the interior flat black.

I add interior baffles to restrict light access to the interior and simulate walls. Windows and doors come from model railroad detailing kits. The roof is thinly sliced balsa or basswood shingles, applied to the white glue spread over the roofers with a pin in a similar fashion to bricks. Shutters are of basswood and toothpicks super glued to brick walls.

Timber structures

Fort Duquesne DisplayWooden match sticks make great squared timber structures (in 15mm they scale out at about 12" square). Their relatively non uniform shapes and grains add a lot of character to individual buildings (better than the more uniform balsa or bass wood). Building corners are either square notched, saddle notched or slightly dovetailed with razor knife or razor saw, depending on what you're modelling or on how much work you care to do. Just white glue them together - doorways and windows can be worked around or cut out with a razor saw later. Use the longer fire place matchsticks when needed.

Fort Duquesne DisplayFloor boards and roofers are basswood from micro cut scale lumber. Cannon are from Minifigs or model ship suppliers. The exterior is painted gray and weathered with various washes and dry brush techniques.

Finished barrack on work board with wood shed in foreground beginnings of squared timbered store. Buildings are just barely tack glued to the work board. When finished they can be easily removed cutting them free with razor knife.

Fort Duquesne Display

Forums -> Terrain Making Wiki