[subscribe]
Forums -> Terrain Making Wiki

Communications Tower

Communications TowerKaare Myltoft posts on our forum as Kaarem and constructed this communications tower from junk as an entry for our 15cm/6inch base competition.

The body of the tower is a cut-down toilet paper roll mounted on top of a black plastic ring. I've no idea about what the ring was originally intended for - or how I've got it. It's a bits box is a treasure!

The base is made from a standard CD to which I attached a piece of an oil-line from an abandoned resin kit. The platform is a small CD that has had a piece of a plastic net glued onto it with PVA glue. The supports for the platform were cut from scraps of foamboard.

The antenna is another standard CD with coffee stirrers attached to the back and bent at 90 degrees to serve as supports for some microchips. The central section and the mechanism by which the antenna connects to the tower consists of several electrical plugs and connectors plus some screws, nuts, washers, and the barrel of a pen.

Communications Tower Communications Tower

The tower was coated with a mix of grey paint with wheat flour added to give it some texture. The platform was painted metal (Citadel Chain Mail) and washed with black and brown inks. The mount was painted metal and washed in black paint. The antenna disc was painted light grey on the underside and left bare on the upper side. The chips and supports for the disc were painted bronze.

The base of the whole thing was painted sand brown and finished with nylon grass and assorted vegetation (a plastic aquarium plant, various scatter materials from the model railway hobby), plus a natural stone to match my other terrain.

Communications Tower

Kaarem has created a gallery album with additional pictures.

Forums -> Terrain Making Wiki