Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
[subscribe]
Forums -> Competitions Overview

Ideas for Criteria (2012)

@Mumsy, well, when you win the Agricultural competition, you can make it happen. Wink

Thumper said:

You do realize that it's not completed until it's PAINTED! ... Right??? Laughing

Im quite happy to call it finished once the constructions done!! its the painting that bugz me!

Elderac said:

@Mumsy, well, when you win the Agricultural competition, you can make it happen. Wink

*ACK!* Jinxed! Confused Shocked

MUMSY said:

Elderac said:

*ACK!* Jinxed! Confused Shocked

He's got a point... Smile

Check your mail I PMed you.

It seems to me that we have a problem here in that upgrading a previously finished project is not the same as finishing an unfinished project.

Unfinished projects would be judged against unrelated unfinished projects. For example, a person who had an unfinished project in the Agriculture Comp would be competing against someone with an unfinished Masonry Comp project. And more. These are unrelated themes (Masonry projects weren't entered in the Agriculture Comp) and we're back to wondering why we have themes at all.

How do you judge the "finishing" of a group of projects if they are all different? If all entrants had to finish the exact same model, then yes, we could have a comp to see who finished the project best. With no standard to start from, there's no way to compare efforts.

Tob said:

How do you judge the "finishing" of a group of projects if they are all different? If all entrants had to finish the exact same model, then yes, we could have a comp to see who finished the project best. With no standard to start from, there's no way to compare efforts.

Not necessarily. There is no "theme" to judge by in a competition that limits size like the 1 inch base comp. Neither is there a theme to compare with in other competitions that sets restrictions like "over/under" or "three of a kind." Yet those competitions have gone over well. Heck, the 1" base competitions have been some of the most popular ones ever. In these cases we have nothing to go on for voting other than size. In this case we'd have nothing to go on for voting other than it was started before, and finished now.

I would very much be in favor of a competition like this. These days I only seem to be able to finish things when I have a strict deadline, and goodness knows I've got plenty of projects sitting around making me feel guilty.

i never finished my ruined house Rolling Eyes

Zaboobadidoo Sr. said:

There is no "theme" to judge by in a competition that limits size like the 1 inch base comp...Heck, the 1" base competitions have been some of the most popular ones ever. In these cases we have nothing to go on for voting other than size.

This is absolutely true.

Then why do we even have themes or restrictions? If we had comps with no themes at all we'd have even more entries than ever before.

If we have no themes or restrictions, then every month we can just enter whatever we're working on, or enter anything we haven't finished yet.

Tob said:

If we have no themes or restrictions, then every month we can just enter whatever we're working on, or enter anything we haven't finished yet.

Humm... maybe you are on to something here. Any one can enter anything, and we just see which piece people like best. It would simplify things.

As well as enjoying viewing the WIP for competition entries and learning new techniques, methods and materials that others use I also enjoy the aspect of the competition in seeing the concept of what people design to meet the criteria for a specific theme.

Having said that why not have a mix of specific themes and "Anything goes" competitions through the course of the year. Or possibly could you not sometimes have one that has a much broader theme to encourage more entries? For example nature, architecture, man made etc without specific stipulations within these headings. In the first example given you could then model anything from a solitary tree to a model of the Alps therefore maybe encouraging more people to have a go.

for me the competitions are about learning, enjoying others work and also a means of motivation so the more entries the better. The actual competing to win is not what would motivate me to enter a competition.

Im with M21A, an "anything goes" comp every once and a while would be a great idea, purely for selfish reasons of coarse, Im more likely to pick up a new technique if more people participate.

It would also be great if Andy archived the completed entry threads as there is some great info in them.

wdlanghans said:

Tob said:

Humm... maybe you are on to something here. Any one can enter anything, and we just see which piece people like best. It would simplify things.

I just got back and online again after a few days away. This is the first thread I was interested in jumping back into.

I like this idea. More than anything I've read yet.

I'd like to suggest

Bigger than the Box it came in - A fairly open theme, except that object(s) must be build with storage in mind and must be laid out into a way that is larger the the storage container. Container should be included in one of the photos.

Example:
- Three egyptian pyramids that stack one on top the other a la russian dolls.
- Something that folds up or out into a larger piece
- A collection of hills or buildings designed to be packed into a storage container, so alot more comes out of the box that you'd guess just by looking at the terrain.

Cheaper by the Dozen- Make several similar pieces, assembly line fashion. The idea would be to share techniques for repeatable processes, and economies of scale. I see a lot of brilliant works out there, but they don't sometimes look like you could ever do them twice.

Example: Several houses built using the same techniques.

I suspect this might not be as artistic as some, but might be more valuable to basic wargaming terrain builders.

asdel said:

I'd like to suggest

Bigger than the Box it came in - A fairly open theme, except that object(s) must be build with storage in mind and must be laid out into a way that is larger the the storage container. Container should be included in one of the photos.

Example:
- Three egyptian pyramids that stack one on top the other a la russian dolls.
- Something that folds up or out into a larger piece
- A collection of hills or buildings designed to be packed into a storage container, so alot more comes out of the box that you'd guess just by looking at the terrain.

Cheaper by the Dozen- Make several similar pieces, assembly line fashion. The idea would be to share techniques for repeatable processes, and economies of scale. I see a lot of brilliant works out there, but they don't sometimes look like you could ever do them twice.

Example: Several houses built using the same techniques.

I suspect this might not be as artistic as some, but might be more valuable to basic wargaming terrain builders.

I like it!!

By the way, I'm DracO, from italy and enjoy making playable terrain since 2001.
The discovery of this forum made me cheer, as it is both very usefull and stimulating.

Wish everyone a great day Smile

MUMSY said:

wdlanghans said:

Tob said:

I just got back and online again after a few days away. This is the first thread I was interested in jumping back into.

I like this idea. More than anything I've read yet.

I could easily see this style of competition scaring a few of people away from entering at all. Personally I don't feel I have half the talent of a lot of people on this site and if it came down to whatever you are working on at the moment I would be embarrassed to put my terrain up against some of the great projects I see here now.

As it is already I have not decided on a piece to enter into the anything goes competition simply because there are too many pieces I am interested in building. I like having the competition more focused. It allows me to wrack my brain and think about all those pieces I want to build and which ones suit the criteria. Having free reign overwhelms my simple mind and is the reason I do not have more home made terrain on my table as it is.

But I understand the need for less focused competitions. Not everybody needs or wants certain terrain pieces on their board and will more than likely not enter a competition that focuses on those unnecessary elements.

I hope to stick around here a long time and enter every single competition I can find time to make a piece for, so don't take this as I am threatening to quit or anything, but I thought the view from a less amazing terrain builder might be an important point.

Of course I will completely change my mind after I wipe the floor with everybody in the next 5 competitions... GO TEAM KERINST Laughing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
62 results in total.

Forums -> Competitions Overview