Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
[subscribe]
Forums -> Competitions Overview

Ideas for Criteria (2012)

kerinst said:

I could easily see this style of competition scaring a few of people away from entering at all.

One of the most difficult things if not thee most difficult things about moderating a comp is picking a theme. There are so many diverse hobbies in this hobby. Like wise there are a lot of different skills involved with each member. I entered my first comp in one of the most difficult themes ever on the TG forum. 'Moving Parts'. I was a total beginner and just jumped in to see if I could learn fast and try to keep up. I was up against Andy Slater who won that comp. I did learn fast and I can keep up. But it took a lot of practice.

I'm sorry if people are scared away from the 'Anything Goes' Comp. But there is a lot of fun stuff being posted there and the comps are also about teaching technique and entertaining the members with threads to follow. I think it is achieving those goals.

kerinst said:

But I understand the need for less focused competitions. Not everybody needs or wants certain terrain pieces on their board and will more than likely not enter a competition that focuses on those unnecessary elements.

Yes. Exactly. I build mainly dioramas. I am not interested in making one of these for every single theme in every single competition. My house would be over run. Laughing

I consider it a great privilege to moderate and pick a theme for competitions. It happens only a few times for most members. My goal with this one was to get more than two or three members to enter and maybe finish. That doesn't always happen. Like I said before. It's hard to please everybody. I hope you jump into as many comps as you are able. It's the fastest way I can think of to improve your modelling skill. Smile

object in motion comp.....

asdel said:

I'd like to suggest

Bigger than the Box it came in - A fairly open theme, except that object(s) must be build with storage in mind and must be laid out into a way that is larger the the storage container. Container should be included in one of the photos.

Example:
- Three egyptian pyramids that stack one on top the other a la russian dolls.
- Something that folds up or out into a larger piece

There was a folding terrain contest about a year ago I think. Ableman built a folding castle. I think it had eight rooms.

But I like the concept, clever storage methods, efficient stacking . . .

raxxus said:

object in motion comp.....

Are you suggesting another "Motion" comp? OMG! That would be fantastic! I might have to enter that one! Surprised

lol Smile

I'd like to see something from any along the following lines.

Decadent Grandure - Something like an Imperial or Royal court of almost any era, showing both great wealth and power and excessive.
For example, the Roman Empire, Ottoman Empire, Imperial Chinese Court, barbarian warlords, 40k govenor.

Practice/training area - Someplace for military or other training, a firing range, gladiatorial school, jousting lane.

Mass entertainment - Something or somewhere to entertain to populace.

I had an idea I wanted to toss out, instead of a competition regarding a specific style of terrain how about one where a specific material were used. Such as everybody must work around a pringles can or soda bottle. Could be really interesting to see what six different people do with the exact same starting point.

I think a competition using a specific type of thing has been done. I seem to recall that there was a sheet material competition and, I think, one based on a CD.

However, it does have an Iron Chef feel to it and I would certainly be up for another of this sort.

Iron Terrain Maker - Kitchen Waste - at least 50% of the model must be made of items that one would ordinarily throw away.

"BUILD IT BIG"

Competition synopsis: Build a piece of terrain that is either actually huge itself or is a model of something very large.

This could range from 1:1 scale furniture building to 1:2000 scale mountain ranges.

Use this competition as an excuse to drag out those "ginormous" projects you have been putting off because they are too big.

Go ahead and make those gaming tables and train sets, build those haunted aircraft carriers and skyscraper filled downtown City Fight boards. Make Tokyo in 1:1600 scale for real Monsters vs. Aliens battles. Make those post apocalyptic amusement parks and steampunk Mount Rushmore battle scenes you have always wanted to.

Go BIG!

Transportation:

Terrain detailing landscape that eases the burden of moving goods or individuals from place to place or establishments that that provide goods or services to transportation vehicles or beasts of burden.

Examples include but are not limited to:
- Paths
- Roads
- Waterways
- Bridges
- Stargates
- Portals
- Landing Pad
- Hangar
- Stable
- Petrol Station
- Inn
- Dock/Port

Au Natural

A natural or alien setting with less than 25% of the piece being constructed/altered by intelligent beings.

Thumper said:

Au Natural

A natural or alien setting with less than 25% of the piece being constructed/altered by intelligent beings.

I'm totally in for this one, there are no intelligent beings in my immediate area Laughing

kerinst said:

I had an idea I wanted to toss out, instead of a competition regarding a specific style of terrain how about one where a specific material were used. Such as everybody must work around a pringles can or soda bottle. Could be really interesting to see what six different people do with the exact same starting point.

I quite like this one. The next competition I win I will be tempted to set the topic as "foamcore"

Not because it is interesting or challenging or anything but because I would like to take the competition entries and produce a definitive guide to working with foamcore.

Or pink/blue foam

or something else.

I would love TG to have a more structured reference section that is google indexed properly that is based on materials and I think that comps are the perfect way to generate variety of content for something like this.

Thumper said:

Au Natural

If you do that one I think I will try to build some hoodoos or maybe a natural arch or rock bridge.

Thumper said:

Transportation:

Terrain detailing landscape that eases the burden of moving goods or individuals from place to place or establishments that that provide goods or services to transportation vehicles or beasts of burden.

Examples include but are not limited to:
- Paths
- Roads
- Waterways
- Bridges
- Stargates
- Portals
- Landing Pad
- Hangar
- Stable
- Petrol Station
- Inn
- Dock/Port

Edit:

Out of the list above I could use any of these for a 1:1200 naval table:
● Paths
● Roads
● Waterways
● Bridges
● Portals
● Landing Pad [or Field]
● Hangar
● Dock/Port

War. What is it good for?

I would be interested in a competition exploring the terrain possibilities with this theme. There are unlimited possibilites. Earth wide and other worlds. All races of peoples. All games. Known and fiction. Mammal or human. At rest in camp and on the battle field. Any scale and in any sense of the word. War.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
62 results in total.

Forums -> Competitions Overview