[subscribe]
Forums -> Competitions Overview

Competitions - Notes for Organizers

This document explains how to run a competitions and is essential reading for anyone who has won the honour of being allowed to run a competition. Competition organizers should also read Notes For Moderators.

Starting a Competition

* How do I get to run a competition?
* I won a comp, how to I start a new one?
* What makes for a good theme?
* Does my theme have to be original?
* How should I specify criteria?
* What is a 'sticky thread' and how to I make one

Approving & Rejecting Entries

* How do I approve or reject an entry?
* Can I approve/reject entries before the competition ends?
* On what grounds should I reject an entry?
* What should I do if I'm not sure whether an entry is compliant?
* Is there anything else I should do?

Voting

* How do I start the voting?
* How do I end the voting?

Starting a Competition

How do I get to run a competition?
You start by winning a competition. The Site Administrator will then invite you to run the next competition.

I won a comp, how to I start a new one?
Although the anouncement of competition winner is automated the setting up of a new competition area is not. The Site Administrator will set up that area and contact you via the Personal Messaging system (so watch your in-box).

What makes for a good theme?
This has been discussed on a number of occasions and it is generally thought that using the criteria to a particular game system or race within a system would probably result in a lack of interest.
Themes such as 'water', 'vegetation', 'ruins', 'towers', 'bridges' etc have generally been popular as these allow competitors to make terrain for whatever system (be they sci-fi, fantasy or historical) and races they use while working within the competition's criteria.
Criteria that insist upon the use or inclusion of specific materials and/or techniques are another way of imposing interesting limitations however an organiser should be careful not to impose so many as to severely limit a competitors options. It will also be useful if the organiser has significant familiarity with those materials and/or techniques such that they can offer advice to competitors who have not used them before and want to try.
Note that there is a thread in the Competitions Overview are of the forum were members have posted ideas about themes they would like to see.

Does my theme have to be original?
No. If you want to use a theme that's been used before you can. Have a look at the competition archives for inspiration.

How should I specify criteria?
When posting your criteria please try to sum them up in a single paragraph. You will probably want to expand upon that summary to make it as clear as possible what is required, however the summary will be used by the Site Administrator as part of the archive.

What is a 'sticky thread' and how to I make one
A sticky thread is a special type that stays at the top of the list of threads in a forum area. As a competition organizer you have the ability to create them and should use them for things such at the thread containing your criteria. The facility to make a thread sticky is on the page where you write/edit the first post in the thread.

Approving & Rejecting Entries

How do I approve or reject an entry?
As the competition organizer your view of the finished entries is different from that seen by others. Your screen has a list box for each entry that allows you to approve or reject each entry. There are also buttons at the top and bottom of the screen that allow you to save the options you have chosen

Can I approve/reject entries before the competition ends?
Yes. However if the entrant then edits their entry in any way the approve/reject status is removed and you'll need to recheck their entry.

On what grounds should I reject an entry?
You should reject the entry if it does not comply with the competition rules e.g. no WIPS posted, or if it does not, in you opinion, meet your criteria. You are the organizer, they are your criteria, and you should reject entries that do not meet them.
You must also (the site administrator will insist opon it), reject any entry that is not worthy of being archived. This includes: entries that are clearly not finished, entries that are poorly photographed (out of focus, lots of clutter, etc., and entries where the descriptive text does not answer the kind of questions that people who see the images will want to ask about how it was made. Entries whose description refers to the WIP thread or other information that will not be included in the archive must be rejected.

What should I do if I'm not sure whether an entry is compliant?
Contact the Site Administrator via the Personal Messaging system.

Is there anything else I should do?
If you reject an entry prior to the end of the competition it would be courteous to send a Personal Message to the entrant to explain why and give them the opportunity to correct it. You should NOT enter into a negotiation with them. It is up to them to compy with your, and the site administrator's requirements, rather than try to persuade you to accept something that you feel does not comply. It is worth noting that all Personal Messages are recorded by our system for 14 days to allow the site administrator to investigate any accusation of abuse that might arise.

Voting

How do I start the voting?
Voting starts automatically when a) the competition deadline is reached and b) all entries have been approved or rejected by the organizer.
If all entries have been approved/rejected when the deadline is reached the voting will begin immediately, otherwise it will begin when the organizer has finished approving/rejecting. Organizers should endeavour to have approved or rejected all entries BEFORE the 2nd of the month i.e. within 24 hours of the competition end.

How do I end the voting?
Voting ends automatically at midnight (GMT) on the 7th of the month following the end of the competition. The winner will be announced automatically. In the unlikely event of a tie, the Site Administrator will choose between the tied entries.

Forums -> Competitions Overview