Goto page Previous  1, 2
[subscribe]
Forums -> Competitions Overview

Ideas for Criteria (2013)

pendrake said:

Red Orc said:

I'd like to re-iterate my support for, once a year, having an 'unfinished project amnesty' competition, where we get to tackle the things that are currently partly-done and cluttering up the loft/basement/garage.

Perhaps, we have to post a shot of the thing with the date of the competition submission on it, just in case anyone is tempted to sneak in old photos of a finished item.

The WiP threads have disappeared ---the most recent victims of the culling mechanism--- but we just did that one: Finishing Moves Contest circa early 2013...

Yeah, after I posted it, I remembered that it was perhaps April this year. I still have a semi-built bridge in the loft (further than it was in 2011, however!). Maybe I'll get it finished for next year's 'amnesty' comp, if we have one?

Anchors Away!

This idea would probably be easy for wdlanghans, Caleb, or Pete to win...

Build a ship. It can be RC as long as it's big enough to fit some kind of miniatures on (even 2mm minis... though I'm tempted to say having said minis reenacting that scene from "Titanic" would be an automatic disqualification...).

Military, civilian, steam, sail, submarine...

I'd say 'ship' but not 'boat', but sailboats are considered boats, submarines are boats... and I wouldn't want to necessarily leave those possibilities out.
Dinky little things like rowboats, however, wouldn't count, nor would speedboats...

General rule of thumb would be it has to be a blue water vessel, not a rivers and lakes boat.

Sorry, Thumper, that would mean no 'Airboat ...In The Swamp'. Sad

Ran aground, recently holed, even docked and mothballed would be okay. No rusted out hulks, though.

(I watched some old Top Gear clips on YouTube recently, including one where the guys are on one of their driving trips and stop at an old submarine pen where some subs are docked and rusting out and Jeremy makes a comment wondering if they're for sale. It helped to inspire this idea.)

TerraGenesis International

Similar to the old "Creative Anachronism" Comp done by amory back in 2007... build a structure or area based on an existing real-life landmark and converted for an alternate universe... With a twist.

You have to use, as your inspiration, a building, monument or other landmark outside your own country.

I, for example, could not do 'Lady Victory' because Liberty Enlightening The World (Statue of Liberty, Lady Liberty, or just the big walking statue from the second Ghostbusters movie) is in America.
I could, though, do something based on a buddha carved out of a mountainside in Japan. (I forget where it is, exactly, I'd have to look up the location again)

Squashed

something that's been flattened by something else:

•car stepped on by a 'mech
•cartoon character hit by a steam roller
•building crushed by a tank
•Orks creamed by a Stompa
•explorer flattened by a charging rhino
•dumpster mashed against a wall by a careless truck driver

Kishkumen said:

Squashed

Tokyo after Godzilla stops in for a visit?

turbomagnus said:

Kishkumen said:

Squashed

Tokyo after Godzilla stops in for a visit?

Laughing

In 1:1200 scale...

Been awhile since we've done...

Islands

I remember islands being created a few times for other themes. But I don't know if it ever was the theme.

_____

When an army comes along and wrecks something like a castle they call that:

Slighted

...so that would involve building two versions of whatever. One intact and the other ruined, wrecked or otherwise destroyed.

Goto page Previous  1, 2
22 results in total.

Forums -> Competitions Overview