[subscribe]
Forums -> Site Info

Forum Features FAQ

This document is out of date and will be rewritten shortly - Andy

The purpose of this FAQ document is to give an overview of the forum functions. Please also read our [Forum Terms of Use] which explains what is and what is not allowed on our forums.

Login and Registration Issues

• Why do I have to supply an email address to register?
  • I registered but cannot log in!
  • I registered in the past but I am no longer on the member list!
  • I'm on the member list so why can't I log in?
  • I've lost my password!

About Posts

• Can I edit or delete posts?
  • Can I add a signature to my post?
  • Can I use HTML in my posts?
  • Can I use BBCode in my posts?
  • What is TGCode?
  • How long do posts stay on the forum?
  • What are Administrators?
  • What are Moderators?

Links and Images

• How can I post Images?
  • How do I post a link?

Polls

• How do I create a poll?
  • How do I edit or delete a poll?
  • Can I change my vote?

Member Preferences and settings

• How do I change my settings?
  • Can I change my username?

Login and Registration Issues

Why do I have to supply an email address to register?
We need a valid address in order to send an account activation email, to reset your password in the event that you forget it, to send topic update notifications (when you've ask for them), so that you can receive private messages from other members via our messaging system, and so that the administrator can contact you about your account if necessary. Note that all of this is done WITHOUT revealing your email address to other members or any third party.

I registered but cannot log in!
Double check that you are entering the correct username and password. This is usually the problem. One way to check that you are using the correct username is to find yourself on our [link=/members/memberlist.php|member list].

I registered in the past but I am no longer on the member list!
Member accounts are deleted after 12 months of inactivity in order to reduce the size of the database. If you find that your old account has been deleted, simply create a new one. (Please feel free to contact the Administrator if you are entitled to membership awards.)

I'm on the member list so why can't I log in?
Are you sure that you are using the correct password? (see below for how to reset it). If your account is new and you have never used it before, it could be that it still needs activating. When you registered you would have told you what type of activation was required. Usually this is a case of having to respond to an email that we send. If you did not receive the email, check your spam folders. Activation is used is to reduce the possibility of rogue users abusing the board anonymously. If you are still unable to log in after reading all of the advice in this section, please [contact the administrator].

I've lost my password!
Don't panic! While your password cannot be retrieved it can be reset. To do this go to the login page and click on the 'I've forgotten my password' link. Follow the instructions and you should be back online in no time.

About Posts

Can I edit or delete posts?
You can edit your own posts by clicking the edit button for the relevant post. If someone has already replied to the post, you will find that a small piece of text is automatically added below the post saying how many times you edited it. You can delete your own posts provided that nobody has replied to it. Please note that when a post is edited or deleted, the old version is copied to a special archive that can be accessed by the administrator in case of a dispute. Also note that the administrator and moderators can edit and delete other people's posts however they should insert a message to say why they have done so.

Can I add a signature to my post?
Many forums have this facility but we do not. The two most common uses for signatures (on other boards) are to advertise something or to make the same witty comment over and over again until everybody is bored to death by it. We decided that they was not appropriate use for them on TerraGenesis.

Can I use HTML in my posts?
No. Use TGCode instead (see below)

Can I use BBCode in my posts?
No. Use TGCode instead (see below)

What is TGCode?
Many forums use something called BBCode which is a set of tags, similar to HTML, that you can use in forum posts to insert links, images, and to change the format of your text. Here on TerraGenesis we have our own system which we call TGCode. See our [TGCode FAQ] for further information.

How long do posts stay on the forum?
Some forum areas use auto-pruning to remove topics that haven't been posted to for a while. For example, the off-topic areas are set to automatically remove topics that haven't been replied to for a month. Other areas, such as the competition forums are pruned manually by the Administrator. The main terrain forums auto-prune topics that have not been posted to for three months.

What are Administrators?
TerraGenesis currently has a single Administrator, the site owner (Andy Slater), who can control all aspects of board operation including suspending member accounts and creating moderators. He also has full moderator capabilities in all of the forum areas.

What are Moderators?
Moderators are individuals who have been given extra powers in certain forum areas, usually to run a competition. They have the power to edit or delete posts and lock, unlock, move, delete and split topics in the forum they moderate. If you take issue with any action being taken by a Moderator, please contact the Administrator.

Links and Images

How can I post Images?
Please see our [Image Posting FAQ] for further information.

How do I post a link?
It depends on what you want to link to. See our [TGCode FAQ] for further information.

Polls

How do I create a poll?
When you post a new topic you should see an Add Poll form below the main posting box. You should enter a title for the poll and then at least two options -- to set an option type in the poll question and click the Add option button. You can also set a time limit for the poll, 0 being an infinite amount. There will be a limit to the number of options you can list, which is set by the board administrator

How do I edit or delete a poll?
As with posts, polls can only be edited by the original poster, a moderator, or board administrator. To edit a poll, click the first post in the topic, which always has the poll associated with it. If no one has cast a vote then you can delete the poll or edit any poll option. However, if people have already placed votes only moderators or administrators can edit or delete it; this is to prevent people rigging polls by changing options mid-way through a poll

Can I change my vote?
No.

Member Preferences and settings

How do I change my settings?
All your settings (if you are registered) are stored in the database. To alter them click the Profile link on the menu to your left. This will allow you to change all your settings.

Can I change my username?
No, but the Administrator can change it for you at your request.

Forums -> Site Info