Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
[subscribe]
Forums -> Work In Progress (WIP)

40k Canal

Hi I'm wanting to build a canal of sorts here is my plan

The plan

I was thinking of making it with Masonite(mdf) as the base and polystyrene as the levels (polystyrene since in SA the pink foam is hard to come buy and is expensive. And I've had good results with sealing the polystyrene with PVA and sand.

My inspiration was
made by kendoka from warseer

I was wanting to do this with out making a whole new board and so no depth.

So far I did some planning with in regards to what I wanted the final project to look like.
Some of the main concerns was size and having it have to much of an impact on the game (warhammer 40k)

inverted space
showing the rivers size buy using foam i had lying around cut to the 4" width

Testing ideas

measurements
Checking if the total height going up would block too much LOS for the rest of the board.

width measurements

I don't want the total foot print to be too big if I could help it.

I've done some more work, Going away for a few weeks will post some pics when i get back

Canals make for interesting play mechanics, walkers in the water rarely make it into a game. If you're trying to limit the foot print of this large module, why not work in a curve? It may unbalance the even fielding, but you can compensate with a height advantage in the opposite corner. I hope you work in some grates and other waterworks into the walls (could make for some subterranean access elsewhere on the board. Enjoying this project, looking forward to seeing it detailed.

I've been a bit quiet lately as I was over seas but here is what I've done up till now. I'm keen to get this completely table top ready soon.

polystyrene

Image from http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-m_dEN6YKyQE/UvDMrNDtWsI/AAAAAAAACqw/eaKWoZGm55c/s1600/20131226_160532.jpg

Lining up the polystyrene before final gluing

Polystyrene is a very flimsy material to use so I needed to protect it I have in the past used this technique for hills and walls so I decided to use it. You take PVA(wood glue) and mix it with water 50:50. I've heard of people putting paint in it as well so you can see where you have put the glue and what you have missed, so i added a little gray probably not as much as I should have but was still enough to notice where I had missed. After painting the solution on, I then poured the sand which I got from a family friend its from some desert in Namibia I think, so it's super fine and just adds a kind of cement texture which I wanted. I applied 3 layers of PVA followed by sand, it ends up forming a strong shell on the polystyrene which will protect it in games and for storage as well that it looks better and you can't see that its based on polystyrene.

Image from http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-nEaBL_B_Tqk/UvDMBa-UX7I/AAAAAAAACqQ/34mEKbk5SHA/s1600/20131228_222912.jpg

PVA, water and grey paint in a flora tub

To get the sides I just lent the polystyrene against the bottle of PVA

Once that had dried I took my gravel mix (which is just the gravel that collects in the recesses when it rains. I've found that it works very well) and applied it onto PVA glue in patches to add some sort of rubble. I also mixed in small chips of slate into the piles to add to the look.
I took slate tile off-cuts from CTM (a tile company) and broke them up with a hammer. You don't get much better looking slate then real slate.

Image from http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-hl6wypEcYXc/UvDK558qmfI/AAAAAAAACpg/OUsViS4EoJc/s1600/20131229_223802.jpg

You can see the slate in a pile at the bottom right.

Don't mind the foot... its not dismembered  its got a body

By the look of the last two photos, I'd say the 'foot print' will be about a 9-10 W Laughing

Thanks for the updates.

Thanks for the reply's I'm thinking of doing some "Urban Hills" for some of the remaining space (like I've seen on dakka dakka Terrain: Urban Hills by panic)

I'll post some pics of a game of carnage I played with the canal a little later today.

PS i'm a size 9 Smile

I played a game of Carnage and decided to see how the canal would work.
It added a very cool dynamic with the bridges and even ended up stopping a charge when a truck was placed to block the bridge.

Excuse the crotch shots

And these ones

The bridges will be the next terrain project but till then pieces of plasticard where used.

Scraps4Bitz said:

I hope you work in some grates and other waterworks into the walls (could make for some subterranean access elsewhere on the board.

Hey Guys I've finished gluing down the walls of the canal and as "Scraps4Bitz" has said I want to add some detail to the wall, you guys have any suggestions on how to do it?

Maybe something like this...

At the bottom left

I am thinking of looking for this sort of thing and cutting it into a half circle and then painting behind it black and the grind like a gray/silver maybe coppery and then leaving it black behind it to give the impression of depth.

Image from http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0060/6902/products/Plastic_Canvas_Grid_1_large.jpg%3Fv%3D1315228059.jpg

I am thinking of looking for this sort of thing and cutting it into a half circle and then painting behind it black and the grind like a gray/silver maybe coppery and then leaving it black behind it to give the impression of depth.

Image from http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0060/6902/products/Plastic_Canvas_Grid_1_large.jpg%3Fv%3D1315228059.jpg

That's granny grating. I've bought mine on eBay, don't know how the supply situation is in SA. It's perfect for walkways as well. If you want a prefabricated solution you could use the filters of taps or small ventilation covers I usually buy in my local Hardware store. Btw nice project, I'm following you Smile

Hey thanks for the reply I really appreciate it.

I will have a look at the local hardware and see if i can find anything.

That "granny grating" if it works for pathways it might be cool for the (foot) bridge floor , but will have to see how it looks and if I can find any.

I've also found this stuff online called plastic canvas but i will have to look into that a bit more.

Plastic canvas is the actual product name, you'll find it in craft stores.

Went after work today to go try find some of this stuff, Tried the local hardware and cloth shop so far no luck.

I don't know of any craft stores nearby but will have to keep looking.

Found some cool 45 degree pipe connectors which I think will be cool for another project

Image from http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00NvAapiqBfbWz/PVC-U-Water-Supply-Pipe-Fitting-45-Elbow.jpg

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
38 results in total.

Forums -> Work In Progress (WIP)