Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
[subscribe]
Forums -> Competitions Overview

Ideas for criteria 2014

...... of the gods

An object of godly size adapted to fit a more mundane purpose.

For example a massive (or at least normal human sized) bottle adapted to a giant green house or burger box as a fast food restaurant.
The adaptated object must still be recognisable and pay due homage to the deity that might have discarded it.

In another thread,

pendrake, Ambience 327, Keldon, Elderac, and other suspects said:

Once upon a time ... two people ... single entry ...marvelous idea ... what a pair of highly-talented Terragenesists could do ... how? ... some suggestions ...

Hatching sound

Pairs competition. People team up, one person does Tab A, other does Slot B, enter comp. Is this Synchronized Terrain Building? Or just Pairs Combined? No details as of yet so chime in.

We'd need some kind of vague theme as usual, but one that also consists of two modelable parts. Stuff like magic portals and stargates etc seem like the obvious go-to here. Could include spacehulk interiors with transporter pads. These kinds of themes allow for conceptually identical but very different looking end products.

Ideas and suggestions?

Tob said:

In another thread,

pendrake, Ambience 327, Keldon, Elderac, and other suspects said:

Once upon a time ... two people ... single entry ...marvelous idea ... what a pair of highly-talented Terragenesists could do ... how? ... some suggestions ...

Hatching sound

Pairs competition. People team up, one person does Tab A, other does Slot B, enter comp. Is this Synchronized Terrain Building? Or just Pairs Combined? No details as of yet so chime in.

We'd need some kind of vague theme as usual, but one that also consists of two modelable parts. Stuff like magic portals and stargates etc seem like the obvious go-to here. Could include spacehulk interiors with transporter pads. These kinds of themes allow for conceptually identical but very different looking end products.

Ideas and suggestions?

I am drawing up a portal design. In a bare bones schematic sort of way. It could be built with materials that appeared to be a match for the available materials in the tech of the builder's gaming world (and at whatever scale).

I was thinking it could be used within the A to B contest as a proof of concept/test case.

Edit: Tough to think of cases other than "portals" to apply the concept to.

Some possible examples for the "Portal" concept, which might be better expressed as "Beginning and Ending" or "Here and There" or even "There and Back Again" Wink :

The entrance and exit of a tunnel (or cave system or dungeon)
Two halves of a broken bridge
Two different docks and waterfronts
A launch pad and landing pad
Freight terminal and loading dock
Two different railroad/maglev stations
Home garage and parking garage
Storm drain and culvert
The gate houses of two different castles
Hobbit Hole and Dwarven Stronghold (Dragon Occupation Optional)

Elderac said:

Some possible examples for the "Portal" concept, which might be better expressed as "Beginning and Ending" or "Here and There" or even "There and Back Again"

Terminuses

Phone booths
ATMs
Computers on a network
Telegraphs
Bus stops, train stations, ports [any kind of terminal]

Fast food drive thrus? [order here, pick up there? shoehorn?]

Radio TX, RX
Wormholes [? modeling empty space?]
Prairie dog, rabbit, other animal warrens/burrows

&c...

Elderac said:

Some possible examples for the "Portal" concept, which might be better expressed as "Beginning and Ending" or "Here and There" or even "There and Back Again":

Or Inside/Outside... one member makes a building, wrecked train, mountain, what-have-you and the other makes the playable inside rooms, cabins, caverns, etc.

Melly.Monkey said:

Elderac said:

Some possible examples for the "Portal" concept, which might be better expressed as "Beginning and Ending" or "Here and There" or even "There and Back Again":

Or Inside/Outside... one member makes a building, wrecked train, mountain, what-have-you and the other makes the playable inside rooms, cabins, caverns, etc.

Trust you Cool to think of building interiors. Thumbs Up

pendrake said:

Melly.Monkey said:

Trust you Cool to think of building interiors. Thumbs Up

I was actually thinking of Gregbag's awesome modular dungeon tiles when I said it. Razz

Gregbag's Dungeon Tile

I've had a couple of potential ideas brewing in the back of my mind for a long time and thought I better post them for consideration.

The first idea is seasons, make at least two pieces of the same scene clearly showing two different seasons. Ideas for pieces could be a tree, bare and covered in snow for winter, in bloom with melting snow for spring, in full leaf for summer and orange/red/brown leaves for autumn; a lake, frozen in winter, full of signs of breeding in spring, full of flowers etc in summer and almost barren with a few fading bits of foliage in autumn.

The second idea is a bolder one, frozen in time/stasis. The idea of this would be to make a piece that shows something, or appears to show something, frozen in time. The spread of things that could be done is bigger than it might seem. Anything from cryogenic facilities to an old cottage in a big city of modern skyscrapers even to something like a leaf caught in a spiders web (although that would be fiddly it would be very pretty)

lahmianvampyrevenom said:

I've had a couple of potential ideas brewing in the back of my mind for a long time and thought I better post them for consideration.

The first idea is seasons, make at least two pieces of the same scene clearly showing two different seasons. Ideas for pieces could be a tree, bare and covered in snow for winter, in bloom with melting snow for spring, in full leaf for summer and orange/red/brown leaves for autumn; a lake, frozen in winter, full of signs of breeding in spring, full of flowers etc in summer and almost barren with a few fading bits of foliage in autumn.

Ohhhh that's a good one it's another take on the age old before and after concept but using only nature as the catalyst and a great opportunity to showcase other colour palettes than GWSWG (Games Workshop Space Wolves Grey in case you didn't get that one and I'm as guilty of it as any one, if not more so) Grey's and whites in winter, yellows and oranges in the autumn/fall (locationally minded) rich browns and greens in summer. Love the potential scope of this one great idea.

Mushrooms

Seems like we've all thrown in mushrooms on terrain pieces at some point, why not make it a comp theme? Build whatever on a six inch base and predominantly feature mushrooms.

I really like mushrooms. That's where I've been the past few days instead of here; out looking for mushrooms after the rains.

How about an amalgamation of ideas?

Beauty of an electrified Mushroom of the gods on the battlefield in 2 seasons Laughing

I'll fetch my coat...

djmothra said:

...electrified Mushroom of the gods...

That just gave me a great idea.

Reading this whole thread gave me one idea to pass on...

FAILURE REDEEMED

First, the participants must post an older piece of terrain that they have made that did not turn out well. If accepted by the judge as a failure, the builder must now fix, modify and improve it to it's intended glory.

How about this one.....

A CD(seedy) Practice

Build a peice of terrain from a CD product (the disc itself, a CD case, the spindle from blank discs, ect).

I know we are all fond of using CD's as bases for small scatter terrain, but I think that this would be a time to do something else with them

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
39 results in total.

Forums -> Competitions Overview