[subscribe]
Forums -> Work In Progress (WIP)

New Orleans 28mm

Hey, It has been a while. I am thinking about doing a 28mm reproduction of the French quarter in New Orleans. I keep getting stuck on the rod iron porches however. Any ideas?

Image: 20140616043420

Image: 20140616043551

Image: 20140616043623

SpiderHawk said:

I keep getting stuck on the rod iron porches however.

Jewelry filigree findings. Cut and reshaped as needed, then primed and painted as wrought iron, this stuff will give you the look you want.

Since I can't post a link in this forum, I will PM you a link to examples.

SpiderHawk said:

I am thinking about doing a 28mm reproduction of the French quarter in New Orleans.

All of it? Won't that be on the large size? Smile

I plan on filling a table and, then seeing if I feel like doing more. I just moved to new Orleans and it would be a good setting for pirates and cowboys.

Tob said:

SpiderHawk said:

I keep getting stuck on the rod iron porches however.

Jewelry filigree findings. Cut and reshaped as needed, then primed and painted as wrought iron, this stuff will give you the look you want.

Since I can't post a link in this forum, I will PM you a link to examples.

I can see how that would work but the cost seems like it add up quick seeing as he wants to do a whole board of it.

Greenizbest said:

I can see how that would work but the cost seems like it add up quick seeing as he wants to do a whole board of it.

No mention of cost restraints was made.
Why? What was your solution, Greenizbest? I had two other ideas that I rejected:

Having cardstock lasercut would be as expensive or more so considering the detail (and therefore time) required. If SpiderHawk owns a lasercutter, it might be more cost-effective if he wants to spend all the time designing and drawing.

The only cheap option I've come up with is doping paper doilies. The downside is the weakness of the paper and the time involved. Still, $10 would buy all the wrought iron needed. Fighting warpage would be another trick.

Modeling ornate decorative wrought iron below 1/12 is always a pain. In my experience, the easiest solutions are the most expensive. How much SpiderHawk has to spend on filigree will depend on the number of balconies he wants to build. Considering he can't fit an entire 28mm New Orleans on a playable (fitting in a room) table, the actual number of balconies and therefore amount of wrought iron might not be cost-prohibitive.

Ribbon (wired or not) and/or fabric trim.

Thanks Tob, sorry about calling it rod iron, its just the hillbilly in me trying to get out. The wrought iron is really tricky, I haven't even seen very much of it for sale any where close to scale. The table holds two blocks. I am thinking Royal street would be a good starting place.

I can't stop thinking about how to do this. I've come up with some ideas, but since I can't post links here, I will PM you some stuff you might want to look at.

Forums -> Work In Progress (WIP)