[subscribe]
Forums -> Finest Five Competition

Adding detail to a thatched cottage

Been thinking about this competition and wondering what I could do. It doesn't seem, at the moment, that there's much of an uptake on this one, so I thought I'd just put my ideas down and see if it can kick things off.

One of my first models I made was a thatched cottage, not particularly good, but it was my first attempt at using foam board to build a structure and again a first attempt at creating a thatched roof. But it got put in the bits box and forgotten all about. So for this competition, Finest Five, I would make use of the five sides of the building and create little details on each that will hopefully satisfy the criteria for the competition.

Ideas include... flowers in window boxs, and in flower beds along the walls, plants growing up the walls, perhaps putting a door on with door knob, knocker etc.

The thatched cottage

The thatched cottage 2

The thatched cottage 3

And if you are wondering what the fifth side is...

in-side!

Inside the cottage

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Slow progress with this one I must admit, but at least started at last. Creating a chimney up the side of the building with a fireplace inside. Made out of DAS clay.

The chimney on the outside

The fireplace

This is coming along great. That chimney Is perfect.

Been doing a little more to the cottage... added a flower box at the window and started to put flowers into it. Initial paint job on the chimney and added flowers along the wall.

Window Box with flowers

Flowerbed along the wall

I need to add details in the window itself such as glass, curtains etc. Also add more flowers, weeds etc.

Inside I've painted the stonework of the hearth, but still thinking about the overall look and the additional details.

The hearth and chimney breast

Ah, quick question...

Any suggestions how I go about creating realistic looking leaves (at 28mm scale) for plants that have large leaves?

I've got plenty of small type leaves that are great for trees, bushes and certain types of flowers, but I'm having trouble trying to create things like ferns, hollyhocks etc, that have leaves that are larger than average.

TheDreamer said:

Ah, quick question...

Any suggestions how I go about creating realistic looking leaves (at 28mm scale) for plants that have large leaves?

I've got plenty of small type leaves that are great for trees, bushes and certain types of flowers, but I'm having trouble trying to create things like ferns, hollyhocks etc, that have leaves that are larger than average.

Great gardening there.
One can buy regular moss at a florist and the use those strands to make ferns.

Your ruler is remarkably clean and paint free.

TheDreamer said:

Birch seed spacers have been popular recently. Cheap, if you have a birch tree nearby.

Sometimes I like to use small leaves cut off of plastic flower arrangements. This can be tricky trying to stay in scale, but if you can find some leaves small enough it can be very cost-effective.

Some people like to raid their spice cabinet for appropriate-looking herbs.

Leaves can be cut out of paper if you have the patience and the eyesight.

Very slow progress but I am hoping to get a lot done this weekend. Starting on the door and the front of the cottage:

The door is exactly 3 cm high

Some more progress. Door is fitted and I've started to create a log pile outside, I've also decided to create a flagstone floor in front of the fireplace.

This is the start of the log pile, placed near to the front door (if anyone does use a wood burner and then probably knows that one a cold windy night the last thing you want to do is to walk too far to get the wood for the stove!!)
Starting the log pile

The door is in place but now needs the tiny details such as hinges, door knocker etc.

The door in place

The flag stones are simply drawn on thick card with a biro.

Flag stones in front of the fire place

Using water colours to paint the flag stones.

Painting the flag stones

Some more progress:

Added hinges and a door knocker (yes it does work, though you can't hear it to well) to the door. Need to weather them in, and add a door handle etc. Also added more wood to the wood pile (takes ages to cut and chop Wink ), need to dry brush it to weather it some more.

The wood pile and the door

The fire place has had bars added, with embers (OO scale coal) at the bottom, there's orange tissue paper at the back with small logs in front. I'm hoping to add a small fibre optic light at the back to make the tissue glow to resemble a fire.

The fire place

The final piece of detail I've decided on is a trophy for the wall. A boar's head. A wood plinth with the stuffed boar's head mounted on that. I'm hoping I can get that finished in time for the deadline.

The plinth and the boar

The mounted head

Awesome boar's head.

Forums -> Finest Five Competition