[subscribe]
Forums -> Showcase

Not exactly wargames terrain...

So I'm making these diorama things trying to pass them on as art, obviously I'm very much inspired by growing up watching and reading a lot of science fiction and also dabbling in 40k way back when.

I thought you guys might be interested in these, even though the pictures are totally crap since I took them with my phone, but bear in mind they were never intended to have miniatures battling all over them or anything.

Image from http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/ssteggell/Sketch%2002%20-%20Plant/photo13_zpsa94f97b5.jpg

This thing is roughly 130 x 130cm and looks waaay better in real life, I've got to get some proper documentation done..

++++

Image from http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/ssteggell/Sketch%2005%20-%20Host/photo15_zpsc39a8ad5.jpg

Image from http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/ssteggell/Sketch%2005%20-%20Host/photo17_zps5805c394.jpg

This is the last thing I've made, it's had a real rough life, coming apart in the heat wave and being bumped into and leaned on while on the wall. The base is about 50 x 75cm I think.

More stuff and WIP's on my photobucket i anyone's interested.
The plan is to construct a planet by the end of the spring semester.

apecat said:

I thought you guys might be interested in these...

And you'd be right. Very interesting, I wish I could get a better look at some of the details of this plant/base/facility. Call a friend with a camera and give us more!

More info would also be appreciated. Is this scratch-built or kit-bashed? Did you use any interesting materials or techniques? What scale is it? Is there fluff or a backstory?

You have a cool style for sci-fi modeling. What kind of planet are you going to build? We're going to want to see that project, so post your work here!

Cheers, I was afraid I might be going against the rules or something posting these here, but I'm always looking for feedback and to improve my techniques.

All my stuff is scratch built from rubbish, I've been digging in skips and bins and picking intresting looking things up from the ground since I was a kid, now I've found something to do with all the scrap I'm always picking up. I also use a fair amount of drinking straws and allow myself to buy those on the cheap, along with certain modelling supplies and things. I've still got quite a few bits and bobs left that I picked out of the skip at my old work making laboratory equipment, that place was a goldmine for industrial looking stuff!

The Plant is in the basement of my mum's studio, I'm trying to get someone who actually knows photography to do some detail shots and better overviews and things. It's made from three sheets of styrofoam, one of them I cut in half to make a gorge running through the landscape, then I propped this really neat piece of styrofoam packaging on the top layer overhanging the bottom one and made struts from some plastic tube thing to support it.

I tried to hint at the scale being absolutely massive, I guess humans would stand about 1-2mm on the surface, but I don't want to say anything for certain.

I had this miniature pilot that came with a Gundam model kit that looked a little tall with the Host, I think it was 7-8mm.

As for interesting techniques I think what I do is pretty basic; I make a base from styrofoam and err.. my brain is stuck - it's the stuff you put into cracks in the wall / window sill and that, glue rubbish to it, then I usually glue a mix of saw dust, sand, light gravel and misc things swept from the floors in my school around everything for basing. I usually take a long time painting everything in acrylics, the host's base only has three coats though because I ran out of time, and I think it really suffers from it and the texture in the wall crack filler stuff doesn't pop up at all. I just try to make every detail look interesting, break up the basic shapes of the materials I use; I would never settle for simply a rectangular box sitting somewhere with a few bits on it.

I always run with a couple of theories for what's going on in my pieces, I try to keep things a little vague and let people use their imaginations to fill the gaps, but I hope the theme of using rubbish to create something interesting and - to me at least - beautiful shines through into the worlds I'm building, I think trash art is interesting as a concept, but it's sad how it always looks the same, I'm trying to revitalize the rubbish, put it into a new setting and make it look like it was always supposed to be whatever it is I turned it into.

The planet I'm planning is going to be entirely covered in mechanical stuff with no trace of the surface - if there is a surface - underneath. I want to make it as large as I can / as my studio doors will allow, my teacher told me about something called "fiber concrete" I think it was, which is supposed to be really light weight, durable and easy to work with, so I'm planning to work that over a frame of chicken wire. I'm gonna make it in two halves, but I'm going to hide the seam as good as I can. I want to incorporate as many cool details as possible, I want working lights, an EM sensor hooked to a speaker, maybe a few moving parts if I can, an FM transmitter and I got talking to this guy who insisted I look into making these little Tesla coil things so it shoots sparks across the surface.

If I can get about half of that done I'll be happy. I'm trying to say something about the physical nature of what we think of as "invisible" technology; wi fi and radio waves and stuff moving through the air are just as real and tangible as anything else, it just registers on a different spectrum, if we could see all the electromagnetic communication with our eyes we would see the boundaries of countries and continents and economic and social differences just as clearly - and maybe even more so - than looking at the world in the visible spectrum. Not quite sure what the message is, I just like building stuff that I've imagined, my head master called it "art naive" and I'm quite happy with that.

This turned into a pretty lengthy post, but those were a lot of questions to answer in one go, have a sushi restaurant from the future.

Image from http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/ssteggell/Sketch%2004%20-%20Parasite/photo16_zpsa4f99b6e.jpg

apecat said:

Cheers, I was afraid I might be going against the rules or something posting these here, but I'm always looking for feedback and to improve my techniques.

If it has terrain, it's appropriate here at Terragenesis.

apecat said:

All my stuff is scratch built from rubbish, I've been digging in skips and bins

Sweet. That's a popular technique around here; we all have the "I have to save this garbage because it looks like _____ at ___ scale." Drives spouses nuts.

apecat said:

I tried to hint at the scale being absolutely massive, I guess humans would stand about 1-2mm on the surface, but I don't want to say anything for certain.

Sounds good. Call it 1/1200.

apecat said:

err.. my brain is stuck - it's the stuff you put into cracks in the wall

From your cheers, rubbish, skips, and bins, I presume you're a UK resident (or Commonwealth) and I don't know what you call it there. In the US we call it spackle or joint compound and around here those terms cover all those type products. Different than plaster.

apecat said:

The planet I'm planning is going to be entirely covered in mechanical stuff ...

That will be an ambitious project! I like that you're going "full media" on it. That WILL be a work of art!

apecat said:

a sushi restaurant from the future.

This is also very cool. Looks like something from a William Gibson book.
Keep posting your projects here. The season is starting and traffic around here will really pick up. I need to build some stuff myself.

Spackle, that's the one. I found a big thing of some Swedish stuff that's got a really nice grainy texture, especially if you work and drag it around a bit with a wood or plastic knife after applying it.

I was going for a sort of Gibson / BLAME! look on the sushi restaurant, though I'm more into the Gibsonesque aesthetics personally.

apecat said:

I was going for a sort of Gibson / BLAME! look on the sushi restaurant...

It comes through. I picked up the vibe immediately!

Forums -> Showcase