[subscribe]
Forums -> In Disguise Competition

Hidden Gun Turret

Hi Folks,

Been giving this competition some thought as to what I could do. I'm looking at a small rock outcrop within which is a revolving gun turret. Its an idea in my head but haven't worked out the mechanism yet so no drawings or concrete plans. Just pinning my idea to the masthead so to speak.

Cheers

Mark

What scale?

You might look for old pictures from Corregidor for inspiration.

Hi Pendrake,

Thanks for the info about Corregidor, never heard of that place before but it does look interesting. What I actually had in mind is something like this:

Gun Emplacement - Channel Islands

Though what I envisage is the entire gun emplacement (including the concrete part) rotating out of a rock outcrop. How I achieve that is the bit I'm working on at the moment.

If you do a search for Guernsey or Jersey fortifications you'll come across quite a few of the defenses that the Germans put up during the occupation of the Channel Islands during WW2. I grew up in Guernsey so a lot of these bunkers were places I used to play in (blimey that's along time ago now!!)

Cheers

Mark

TheDreamer said:

I grew up in Guernsey

Very cool. Do you speak Dgernesiais?

TheDreamer said:

Hi Pendrake,

Thanks for the info about Corregidor, never heard of that place before but it does look interesting. What I actually had in mind is something like this:

Gun Emplacement - Channel Islands

Though what I envisage is the entire gun emplacement (including the concrete part) rotating out of a rock outcrop. How I achieve that is the bit I'm working on at the moment.

If you do a search for Guernsey or Jersey fortifications you'll come across quite a few of the defenses that the Germans put up during the occupation of the Channel Islands during WW2. I grew up in Guernsey so a lot of these bunkers were places I used to play in (blimey that's along time ago now!!)

Cheers

Mark

Suppose the whole concrete pillbox rotates? The 180 degrees to the rear of the gun is concrete shaped to look like rock outcrop matching the rest of a stationary rock face. The gun points inland when in disguise. The arrangement rotates 180 when it goes into action?

From seaward it looks like a long rock face until the gun rotates into position.

pendrake said:

Suppose the whole concrete pillbox rotates? The 180 degrees to the rear of the gun is concrete shaped to look like rock outcrop matching the rest of a stationary rock face. The gun points inland when in disguise. The arrangement rotates 180 when it goes into action?

From seaward it looks like a long rock face until the gun rotates into position.

That's exactly what I'm aiming to achieve. And I've worked out how to achieve it so I'll be working on it over the next few days.

Tob said:

TheDreamer said:

I grew up in Guernsey

Very cool. Do you speak Dgernesiais?

Nooo. I was born in the UK but my parents moved out there in the 60s and learning languages has never been my strong point!! The Guernsey patois , or Dgernesiais, is based on the Normandy French which I believe is somewhat different from normal French - I think.

I remember when I came back to the UK I was using Guernsey French words without realising that no one actually knew what I was talking about. For instance "Douit" (pronouced 'dwit') for "stream" caused no end of mickey taking when I first started saying it in a conversation not realising that it was unique to Guernsey!

OK an initial mockup. Using expanded polystyrene for the turrent. One half will have the gun turrent cut into it with a covering of PVA/sand. The other half I'm going to cut away and mould to look like a rock structure. A dowell through the middle will allow it to rotate. The hillside will be built up over the foam board which will hopefully match the turret rock structure.

That's the plan... we'll see!!

A mock up of the turret

Forums -> In Disguise Competition