Home -> Projects -> Bits -> Archeotech 2

Archeotech 2

by Craig Hardt

Archeotech 2When Craig Hardt came across an old, broken answering machine he knew he had the perfect base for this project. This is an inspired use of found items and a great example to us all.

Materials and tools

  1. hobby knife with standard blade and saw blade

  2. screwdriver

  3. nippers/wire cutters

  4. leather punch

  5. window screen

  6. plastic tubing

  7. 3mm half round beads for rivets

  8. miscellaneous electronic bits

  9. a few parts from an WWII accessories sprue

  10. a 3.5" floppy disk

  11. plasticard or matboard

  12. superglue

  13. PVA glue

Archeotech 2

Method

Archeotech 2The main basis for this project was the bottom half of the plastic case of the answering machine. I cut a rectangular hole into the case and attached a box made of plasticard to create a recessed area. I then detailed the box with plastic strips, rivets and miscellaneous bits leaving the recessed area empty. I used superglue for attaching everything. I chose some interesting bits for the recessed area and set them aside for painting since painted them inside the box would have been very difficult. I used plastic tubing and the window screening to fill some holes in the side of the case.

Archeotech 2Next to the recessed area I created the impression of a door to another recessed area. This was done by using the same border as the recessed area and then scoring a line down the middle and adding two handles made with wire. A small length of jewellery chain was put through the wire with a tiny kitbashed padlock.

The padlock was made by taking the leather punch and punching out a circle of plasticard, another smaller circle of floppy disk plastic and a loop of wire.

Painting and adding the stripes

Archeotech 2The whole project was primed in black as well as the parts set aside earlier. Most areas were dry brushed with silver and then some bits painted with other colours.

Once the set-aside parts and the recessed areas were painted I glue the parts inside the box. With the base coats done I glued the stripes to the project using PVA glue. These were created using yellow paper printed with blank stripes in an inkjet printer. Next, the whole piece was washed with a watery, brownish wash. While this was still wet I went back and added rusty pools and let different washes run down the sides of the piece and some of the bits.

I did find that the washes darkened the yellow paper quite a bit but I ended up liking the look in the end. A final, light dry brush of silver on the rivets and other parts was done to bring out these details.

[Page Top] [Site Home]