[subscribe]
Forums -> Terrain Making Wiki

Orc Lookout Tower

Orc Lookout TowerMark Logue's Orc watchtower hides a secret:

It is built on top of a rock formation to guard a cave used in ceremonies by orc shamans. The lookout is so that archers can stand guard and make sure the rituals are not interrupted. The top can be removed so that miniatures can be moved within the cave.

I drew out the shape on four layers of polystyrene sheet. I glued the bottom three together with PVA and just let the top layer sit on with cocktail sticks. Using a craft knife I carved the basic structure of the hill out.

Orc Lookout Tower

After this I took the top layer off and carved out the cave on the inside of the hill. As some miniatures were too tall to fit in the cave I also made a larger piece of polystyrene for the base and carved the shape of the cave out of this too. I traced the shape of the whole structure onto a sheet of hardboard to create a firm base. In the area of the cave mouth I set the jigsaw on a 45 degree angle so the entrance would blend with the gaming table better, the rest of the wood was cut at a 90 degree angle.

On the inside of the cave I used some putty to create some stalactites and stalagmites. I didn't put any on the ceiling because when it is taken off I want it to be able to sit flat.

After this the walls were textured with filler and the floor with PVA and sand. I found that by making the filler slightly runny it runs down the wall slightly making it look more like a cave, if it is too runny it will run right off so it's a matter of experimentation.

Orc Lookout Tower

The lookout was made out of balsa wood and then textured to look like planks using strips of cereal packaging. The ladders were carved pieces of balsa with balsa rungs, roughly carved to look all orcy.

To take the top of the model on and off during construction I have made it line up with several cocktail sticks. I made big crosses over the holes so I would match it up the same every time.

Orc Lookout Tower

Before painting the model I coated any exposed areas of polystyrene with PVA to prevent the spray paint from eating into it. I also added patches of sand and pebbles to texture the outcrop.

The whole structure was sprayed black with some cheap paint. The rocky areas were highlighted with increasingly light layers of grey (I prefer to dry brush when highlighting terrain). The wooden areas were given several highlights of brown.

I added patches of static grass (I use a variety of different colours and lengths of grass by Heki to try and get a natural look) using PVA and lightly dry brushed a few areas of rock and added light green scatter to represent moss. I push cocktail sticks into the model when gluing on the lichen to give an extra anchor to glue it on to.

Forums -> Terrain Making Wiki