Home > Reference > Glossary > surform
Term:  surform



[img_r=surform.jpg.206.267]Surform tools have blades that look a bit like a cheese grater. They are designed for fast shaping of wood but also work well with plaster and Styrofoam. Be warned that the blades tend to be quite vicious so keep fingers and anything else that you'd like to remain in one piece well clear. They also create a lot of mess that'll need sweeping up when you're done.

The photo shows two types, a 'shaver' and a block plane, made by Stanley. Types that look like two handed planes and types that look like files are also available.

[Page Top] [Site Home]